The Anatomy of a Travel Plan: Emergency & Travel Assistance Services
This is the first in our series of posts dissecting travel protection plans so you can better understand these often mysterious products. Each post will focus on one benefit of the plan, explaining what exactly that benefit covers and sharing real-life applications when possible so you can understand the value of that particular benefit.
At the bottom of the Schedule of Benefits for most of our travel protection plans, there’s a line for Emergency & Travel Assistance, indicated as “Included” on the plans. This particular benefit is not technically insurance coverage and is provided at no additional cost by a third-party vendor (not the insurance carrier). It may be listed last, but it certainly should not be considered the least among the benefits offered to travelers.
What is the Emergency & Travel Assistance part of travel protection plans, anyway?
The Emergency & Travel Assistance benefit offers a 24-hour resource to travelers anywhere in the world, should they need help or have questions. This not only includes assistance in the event of an emergency or unexpected changes to plans on your trip. You can also use this service prior to your trip to help plan your itinerary, get recommendations for restaurants, museums and the like, get help on exchanging currency, and more!
Emergency & Travel Assistance: Real Life Application
In mid-December, there was a detrimental fire at the Atlanta Airport, causing more than a thousand delayed flights and stranding thousands of travelers at the airport for hours with no electricity, limited information and nowhere to stay. In total, more than 30,000 travelers were affected.
“As the day dragged on, travelers vented on social media about being stranded, the need to make alternate plans and what they complained was a lack of timely information. Some posted photos of passengers standing in the dark in the terminal.”
What would you do in this situation? Travelers who purchased a travel protection plan would have the benefit of the Emergency & Travel Assistance Services. All they would need to do is make a call to the 800 number provided with their protection plan purchase and help would be available to wade through an otherwise uncomfortable and frustrating situation.
Take a look at the full universe of 24/7/365 Travel Assistance Services:
- Arrangements for last-minute flight and hotel changes
- Luggage Locator (reporting/tracking of lost, stolen or delayed baggage)
- Hotel finder and reservations
- Airport transportation
- Rental car reservations and automobile return
- Coordination of travel for visitors to bedside
- Return travel for dependent/minor children
- Assistance locating the nearest embassy or consulate
- Cash transfers
- Assistance with bail bonds
- Destination guides (hotels, restaurants, etc.)
- Weather updates and advisories
- Passport requirements
- Currency exchange
- Health and safety advisories
Documents and Communication
- Assistance with lost travel documents or passports
- Live email and phone messaging to family and friends
- Emergency message relay service
- Multilingual translation and interpretation services
Medical Assistance Services
- Medical case management, consultation and monitoring
- Medical Transportation
- Dispatch of a doctor or specialist
- Referrals to local medical and dental service providers
- Worldwide medical information, up-to-the-minute travel medical advisories, and immunization requirements
- Prescription drug replacement
- Replacement of eyeglasses, contact lenses and dental appliances
- Emergency evacuation arrangements
- Repatriation of mortal remains arrangements
- Emergency medical and dental assistance
- Emergency legal assistance
- Emergency medical payment assistance
- Emergency family travel arrangements
Next time you plan your trip, make sure to pack your travel protection plan. Visit http://www.travelinsure.com/ to view all of our various travel products and enroll online. You can also call Travel Insurance Services customer service Monday through Friday, 9 am – 7 pm EST to get your questions answered or enroll by phone: (800) 937-1387.